Benefit Cosmetics (UK)

Saturday 8 February 2014

Beauty | Glossy Box Review - January 2014

I have been receiving these boxes every month for a year now so I thought the latest box would be a great place to start on my new blog. For those who don't know about GlossyBox - it is one of many beauty boxes that you can subscribe to and you are sent a number of samples each month. GlossyBox costs £10 (+£2.95 p&p) and I initially signed up as a monthly treat as each month is a surprise.

The first thing that strikes you is the packaging...it is everything you would want when spoiling yourself! A well made cardboard box which is decorated differently some months depending on the theme, inside the products are wrapped in tissue paper tied up with a ribbon. Along with the products there is a magazine which contains various articles usually related to that months theme and a leaflet with a little bit of info about each product and brief instructions for use.

The products in my box this month were:

Yu-Be Moisturising Skin Cream
Balance Me Super Toning Body Wash
The Vintage Cosmetic Company Floral Slanted Tweezers
Anatomicals Puffy the Eye Bag Slayer Wake-Up Under Eye Patches
Montagne Jeunesse Passion Peel Off Masque & Blemish Mud Masque

I have to say in the year that I have been receiving GlossyBox overall I have really enjoyed receiving the boxes and the products although the quality of the products varies. Here are my reviews from this months products:

Yu-Be Moisturising Skin Cream
In the box there were two small samples of this cream which is, according to the leaflet in the box, a cult in Japan. The packaging of the product looks very basic (potentially due to it being a sample), and when first squeezed out of the tube the colour and texture doesn't look that appealing. However, the leaflet says this is a multi-use cream that provides ongoing protection from the elements with a number of essential vitamins and high glycerine content, so I decided to try it out on an area of dry skin near the corner of my eye. Just two uses of Yu-Be cream has cleared it right up which made me think that for a cheap product it is worth having in your makeup bag, but on checking the leaflet, at £13.50 for 33g it isn't that cheap and a similar price to Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream which works and feels much more luxurious.

Balance Me Super Toning Body Wash
I am a bit of a nightmare when it comes to showering, as my husband would tell you... I take forever! It is because I have a strict routine of shampooing, combing, conditioning, combing, hair mask (once a week), face cleanse, face exfoliate, then a lovely soak in a gorgeous smelling shower gel applied with a puff and finish with another comb of the hair to get excess water out. So when I get a chance to try a new shower gel I am always happy and the Balance Me wash was no exception, it has an earthly scent of juniper, bergamot, geranium and lavender and it foamed up lovely. As for the toning effects I would say there may be a slight improvement in my skin, but nothing overly noticeable. The smell is worth buying and it can be used as a bath soak.

The Vintage Cosmetic Company Floral Slanted Tweezers
These are very cute tweezers which would definitely add a bit of style to your makeup bag and are super sharp and slanted for catching those fine hairs...at £8 I would say they were worth a purchase if you are on the lookout for some tweezers.

Anatomicals Puffy the Eye Bag Slayer Wake-Up Under Eye Patches
I was really excited to try these eye patches as ever since I read about Kim Kardashian (she has a similar colouring to me with an unfortunate disposition to darks circles) using Shiseido eye masks to combat the dreaded dark circles, I have wanted to get my hands on them, but at £59 for a pack of 12 they don't come cheap! So seeing that Anatomicals have eye patches at just £6 for a pack of 3 it sparked my interest. These patches are easy enough to apply and you leave on for 30mins, after which the skin feels smooth and revitalised and I could see a real improvement in the dark circles...happy days! It won't stop me from wondering how much better the uber expensive Shiseido masks are but for now these will be a bathroom staple of mine for those morning-after-the-night-before days.

Montagne Jeunesse Passion Peel Off Masque & Blemish Mud Masque
These masques have been around for as long as I can remember, I have often sneaked one of these into the shopping trolley whilst at the local supermarket. Each packet can usually do two uses I have found as there is more than enough product in there. The peel off masque leaves you skin feeling and looking tighter and brings colour to your cheeks but I do find it slightly drying. The blemish mud leaves the skin feeling very soft and fresh...potentially a good combo with the eye patches for those days when your skin could do with a pick me up.

Thanks for reading...please let me know if you have any comments!

You can sign up to GlossyBox here





No comments:

Post a Comment